Lots of people don’t know how to pour Absinthe correctly and no, it isn’t as simple as taking out the lid, pouring it in a glass and drinking it! Absinthe should be served diluted with iced water and sweetened just a bit with sugar absinthe liquor. This technique is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is the way Absinthe was prepared in its heyday while in the 19th century and early 20th century.
The Ritual isn’t so much a recipe as a technique to follow. Here are instructions on how to pour the ideal Green Fairy every time:-
– Absinthe – Use a quality Absinthe that contains wormwood. There are many fake Absinthes around with no thujone and therefore no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This makes measuring the Absinthe really easy because you fill the bulge in the bottom or go up to the mark, determined by what style glass you’ve got.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Iced water
– A cube of white sugar
To create your Absinthe drink you have to pour a shot of Absinthe into the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass.Position the cube of sugar about the spoon and carefully drip the water above the sugar making it dissolve in the Absinthe. Top-up the Absinthe to taste, commonly a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
If you work with a steady hand and drip the water gradually, it is possible to view the Absinthe louche the way it turns from a clear bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This is certainly fascinating to watch.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain which you fill with water and ice cubes after which turn a tap to manage the dripping of the water into the Absinthe – great in case you are heavy handed. A fountain also enables you to make two drinks concurrently because quite a few fountains have two taps.
Replications . of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses could be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The business also sell Absinthe essences on their own webshop. You mix an essence with vodka or everclear to create your very own authentic wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian method differs a little bit from the Ritual and is not a traditional technique of preparing Absinthe. To make Absinthe in this way you have to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe into a glass after which dip the cube of sugar to the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar onto the Absinthe spoon.
– Using a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Watch the sugar caramelize and melt throughout the slots of the spoon and on the Absinthe.
– Cautiously pour iced water into the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and enjoy.
Absinthe can certainly be mixed with other alcohol in cocktails. Look online for Absinthe cocktail recipes find out more. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe blended with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe making use of the Ritual and the more contemporary Bohemian method. Try them out and enjoy with Absinthe.