There is much interest in Absinthe, the drink referred to as Green Fairy or La Fee Verte. People would like to know how to buy it, what type to get, how you can prepare it and what is the suggested volume of Absinthe to make use of when preparing a drink.
Firstly you have to buy a quality Absinthe that is abundant with essential oils and that contains wormwood. There are plenty of Absinthe substitutes and fake Absinthes http://absinthekit.com available for sale that may contain southernwood or roman wormwood instead of common wormwood (artemisia absinthium). Make sure you buy a proper real Absinthe. If you live in a country where it’s difficult to find a top quality Absinthe then you could make your own Absinthe using essences via AbsintheKit.com.
Once you have got your Absinthe, you need to learn The Ritual, or La Louche. This is actually the standard French or Swiss method of preparing Absinthe and it uses one shot of Absinthe. Listed below are the instructions:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon on the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Carefully drip iced water above the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or using a stable hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it gradually will give the sugar possiblity to dissolve and drip throughout the slots of the spoon. You need to see a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol however, not in water and so have the mixture cloudy or milky when water is included.
– Relax and enjoy your Absinthe drink.
The Bohemian or Czech Method is very much like the Ritual but is a modern method of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian technique is scorned by a lot of Absinthe followers.
Instructions and strategies for making use of the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe in the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest within the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for one minute to allow the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar must drip through the slots of the spoon and to the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the ice cold water in to the Absinthe to place out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy your Absinthe drink.
If you wish to enjoy your Absinthe properly the you will need some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons and perhaps even an Absinthe fountain to regulate the flow of the water. Replicas of antique spoons and glasses can be acquired from AbsintheKit.com.
So, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to utilize when preparing an Absinthe drink? About 45ml or a US shot. Obviously, you can use Absinthe in cocktails too – look for recipes online.